In this page you have instructions for entering the competition.
What do I need to do?
Write a report or prepare a short video about an astronomical topic of your own choice (this could be a specific astronomical object, phenomenon, observation, scientific problem, theory, and so on). You may also wish to include practical activities such as your own observations, or experiments.
Your report must be in English.
Please do not use automatic translators such as “Babelfish” or automatic text content generation such as "ChatGPT".
Please follow the rules and guidelines below, in "What do I need to include in my project?".
When is the deadline for entries?
The deadline for all entries is 23h59 CET on March 31st, 2024.
What do I need to include in my project?
Here are some rules and guidelines for Catch a Star projects:
1 - Include a bibliography listing references for the source documents and images you have used.
2 - Your report should be no longer than about 5000 words.
3 - It is important that your project is your own work. It is not enough just to copy text from other articles. This is why you should reference the sources you have used by citing them in a bibliography.
4 - We encourage you to choose an original topic. Original projects will do better than, for example, several very similar projects from the same school class.
5 - Please write as clearly as possible. Pay attention to scientific accuracy, clear language, and good design of your document as a whole.
What do I need to include in my video?
Your video should consist of a significant portion (more than one half) of original material, i.e. your own work.
Your video should be no longer than 5 minutes.
Include a list in the final credits with your bibliography and image sources.
If your video has voice over, make sure the sound level is good enough for everyone to hear it.
Please send your participations by email to
You must include the following information in your email:
- Title of your work
- Names of the members of the team
- Name of the leader (first + last name)
- School, club or institution
- Age group of the students
- Full address:
- Postal code
- Contact email address
- Contact phone number (with country code; it will only be used for postal services, if needed)
- Do not forget to attach the project report or to include a url to your video
- Please do not attach video files to your email as the mail server may reject them due to size limitations. You may use temporary hosting providers such as pCloud Transfer, EasyUpload, File.io or WeTransfer. If your project report pdf file is big (>100 MB), feel free to also use any of the services mentioned above.
The organisers will make sure to download the files as soon as they receive your entry and will send you a confirmation email. Should you not receive a confirmation email within a few days from your submission, get back to us with a nudge :)